Six Houses offer competition and friendships
The House system is an integral part of life in Lady Margaret School promoting the values and ethos of the school by encouraging healthy competition in a wide variety of extra-curricular activities. All students are put into a House at the start of their time in the school, with the teaching staff also members of the individual Houses. The House system is run by the senior girls in Year 13, and the role of Head of Houses is a position within the Senior Order. House Captains are elected to each House by application and interview.
Throughout the school year house points are collected in a running tally. House points can be awarded either by giving in a full praise point card or entering house competitions. There are numerous events throughout the school year giving students the opportunity to excel and gain a sense of achievement outside the classroom in a variety of different ways. Current events are; House Dance, the House Spelling Bee, House Christmas Panto and House Music competitions. Sports competitions include House Dodgeball, House Netball and the year ends with the infamous LMS Sports Day where students and staff wear their house colours and compete or cheer on participants in their house from the stands.
In addition to providing the students with a sense of identity and group loyalty, the House system also emphasises the school’s history and tradition. Each house is named after a notable figure from the school’s history and in particular, its foundation.
Moberly Bell (Pink)
Enid Moberly Bell was the founder of the school and its first Headmistress from 1917 to 1947. Following the enforced closure of Whitelands College School in Chelsea, as a member of the existing teaching staff, she effectively rescued the school, establishing it on its current premises on Parsons Green and renaming it Lady Margaret School. She memorably once described the school as ‘a particularly happy place.’
Kensington is named after the first Joint Chair of Governors of the school, the Bishop of Kensington, the Rt Rev John Primatt Maud. In March 1917 the Bishop took part in a meeting with Enid Moberly Bell in the rectory of St Dionis Church in which is was agreed that the old school must be saved and a new one established in Belfield House on Parsons Green.
Florence Elsie Marshall was the school’s second Headmistress from 1947 to 1971. Coming from a very modest background herself ‘Flo’, as she was affectionately known by the students, transformed the school academically. Increased numbers of girls were encouraged to continue their education and apply for university and the size of the school’s Sixth Form expanded dramatically during her time in charge.
The Hon and Rev Edward Lyttelton was the other first Joint Chair of Governors working alongside the Bishop of Kensington. A former Headmaster of Eton for eleven years, Lyttelton was also an outstanding sportsman, playing first-class cricket for Middlesex, and football for England – he had also played in the 1878 F.A. Cup Final representing the Old Etonians.
Another original Governor, Sir Valentine Chirol was also a major benefactor of the school. His generous donations were crucial and enabled the school to survive in its early years. He also donated large sums for the building of some of the school’s earliest purpose-built classrooms.
Another early benefactor of the school, Miss Gertrude Carver was also a close family friend of Enid Moberly Bell. She provided the bulk of the money needed for the original purchase of Belfield House. Thereafter she worked as the school bursar for many years.
The House system is important because it provides students with a valuable opportunity to interact with students from other year groups. As a consequence, the older girls have the opportunity to set a good example and provide younger students with role models to emulate. It promotes the traditions of Lady Margaret School, and it encourages the high standards which have made this school what is has become over the years.